This checklist has been provided as a reminder of the many items needed upon the loss of your loved one. At James H. Cole we make every effort to ensure that your needs are met, with an attention to every detail, at one of the most difficult times in your life. Should you have any questions or need additional information prior to your appointment please do not hesitate to contact us.
- Make the initial call to the funeral home; notifying us of the loss of your loved one.
- Begin to gather information that will be needed during the arrangement process including:
- Date of Birth
- Social Security number
- Birthplace (City & State)
- Parents’ names (Including Mother’s maiden name)
- Highest Level of Education
- Military Records (if applicable)
- Insurance policies (if you require our assistance)
- You will also want to consider the final resting place for your loved one. You may choose either traditional burial or cremation. We can assist you with options for one or the other.
- The funeral home will contact you to schedule an appointment to make the funeral arrangements.
- Additional steps to consider include the following:
- Writing the obituary
- Printing and developing the service programs
- Collecting photos of your loved one
- Creating a Memorial Video Tribute
- Ordering of flowers for the service
- Will you need a minister, priest or member of the clergy to officiate the funeral service
- Will you need a musician/singer for the service
- Location of Repast/Luncheon
- Determining where your loved one’s final resting place will be if cremation is your preference. Families often choose that location to be their home, cemetery, columbarium or a meaningful location for scattering the ashes.
- Your funeral director will schedule a private time with you to view your loved one for the first time. Once we have your approval, at a designated time, we will then allow others to pay their respects.
This checklist has been provided as a courtesy of James H. Cole Home for Funerals. During your visit to the funeral home, full disclosure of packages, pricelist and all information in accordance with the FTC Funeral Rule is strictly adhered to with every family, on every service.
Download our Funeral Planning PDF checklist.